How should the waiting backends behave in sync rep?

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How should the waiting backends behave in sync rep?
Date: 2011-03-08 15:06:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

How should the backends waiting for replication behave when
synchrnous_standby_names
is set to '' and the configuration file is reloaded? Now they keep
waiting for the ACK from the
standby. But I think that it's more natural for them to get out of the
wait state and complete
the transaction in that case. If we'll change them in that way, we
would no longer need
something like "pg_ctl standalone" which I mentioned in another thread. Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center