Re: Patch: psql \whoami option

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: psql \whoami option
Date: 2010-06-21 04:07:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca> wrote:
> One comment I have on the output format is that values (ie the database
> name) are enclosed in double quotes but the values being quoted can contain
> double quotes that are not being escaped.   For example
>
> Connected to database: "testing"er", user: "ssinger", port: "5432" via local
> domain socket
>
> (where my database name is testing"er ).  Programs will have a hard time
> parsing this.  I'm not sure if this is a valid concern but I'm mentioning
> it.

It seems like for user and database it might be sensible to apply
PQescapeIdentifier to the value before printing it. This will
double-quote it and escape any internal double-quotes appropriately.
The port is, I guess, being stored as a string, but doesn't it have to
be an integer? In which case, why quote it at all?

Is there really a point to the non-DSN format or should we just use
the DSN format always?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company