Re: SQL/MED - core functionality

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL/MED - core functionality
Date: 2010-12-01 04:53:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:30, Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> From a user's view, this is very long way to see a simplest foreign
> table. I know it is based on the standard, but I really want a
> shortcut. Especially, I don't understand why CREATE USER MAPPING FOR
> current_user SERVER <server> is needed for default use case. If you
> forget CREATE USER MAPPING and do CREATE FOREIGN TABLE, it raises an
> error. User mapping is useful if the local user and remote user should
> be mapped but I imagine in most cases they are the same.
> postgresql_fdw can tell the remote user by conninfo string, in
> addition.

How do you connect to the remote server when password is required?
I think we cannot pass through passwords to the remote server
even if the same user is used on the local and remote servers.

However, SERVER and USER MAPPING might be useless for file_fdw because
SERVER is always the local file system and USER is always the OS's user
who started the postmaster. I'm not sure how we should treat cases
where those settings don't have any configurations.

--
Itagaki Takahiro