Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,
Date: 2011-03-18 12:31:51
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> You could also argue for "log a warning, continue until we can open for Hot
> standby, then pause".

I don't like that one much.

> I can write the patch once we know what we want. All of those options sound
> reasonable to me. This is such a corner-case that it doesn't make sense to
> make it user-configurable, though.

I agree. Since pause_at_recovery_target is ignored when
hot_standby=off, I think it would be consistent to treat the case
where hot_standby=on but can't actually be initiated the same way -
just ignore the pause request and enter normal running. However, I
don't have a super-strong feeling that that's the only sensible way to
go, so count me as +0.5 for that approach.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company