Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature
Date: 2010-05-31 16:23:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/5/31 Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>:
> Pavel Stehule wrote:

>> > Yea, definitely they were copying Oracle. ?My point is that the odd
>> > ordering does make sense, and the use of an arrow-like operator also
>> > makes sense because of the odd ordering.
>> >

>> What I know - this feature is supported only by Oracle and MSSQL now.
>> MSSQL syntax isn't available, because expected @ before variables. So
>> there is available only Oracle's syntax. It is some like industrial
>> standard.
>
> MSSQL?  Are you sure?  This is the example posted in this thread:
>
>        EXEC dbo.GetItemPrice @ItemCode = 'GXKP', @PriceLevel = 5
>
> and it more matches our := syntax than => in its argument ordering.

it's not important in this discussion. Important is using some usual
symbol '=' or special symbol '=>'. Our syntax is probably only one
possible solution in this moment (there are minimum controversy), bud
semantic isn't best. Using same operator as assign statement uses can
be messy. I don't know what is a true - you have to ask of ADA
designers.

Regards
Pavel