Re: Streaming a base backup from master

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Streaming a base backup from master
Date: 2010-09-03 13:43:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> No, I agree we don't want an external dependency (I was just bleating
> about needing tar on Windows). I was assuming/hoping there's a
> librsync somewhere...

The rsync code itself is not modular, I believe. I think the author
thereof kind of took the approach of placing efficiency before all.
See:

http://www.samba.org/rsync/how-rsync-works.html ... especially the
section on "The Rsync Protocol"

I Googled librsync and got a hit, but that code is a rewrite of the
source base and seems to have little or no activity since 2004.

http://librsync.sourceforge.net/

That page writes: "librsync is not wire-compatible with rsync 2.x, and
is not likely to be in the future." The current version of rsync is
3.0.7.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company