Npgsql 2.0.12 beta1 released!

From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr(dot)" <francisco(at)npgsql(dot)org>
To: Mono List <mono-list(at)lists(dot)ximian(dot)com>, PgSql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Npgsql 2.0.12 beta1 released!
Date: 2011-03-25 02:39:19
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Hi, all!!

The Npgsql Development Team is proud to announce the Npgsql2 2.0.12
beta1 release!

Npgsql is a .Net Data provider written 100% in C# which allows .net
programs to talk to postgresql backends. Npgsql is licensed under BSD.
More info can be obtained from http://www.npgsql.org

Thsi is the release notes:

Npgsql 2.0.12 beta1 (2.0.11.91)

Important Notice:

This is a beta release intended to test some critical fixes
added since last stable release.
Special attention should be given to connection pool
interactions. We improved connection pool of Npgsql. Previous
implementation was letting connections to be leaked. Now this
implementation keeps a reference to all the connections and keeps
better track of them. We also improved connection validation from pool
before delivering it to the user. This may fix problems where users
were reporting strange data from new connections.
Another attention should be paid to Dataset and DataAdapter
operations. We changed some internals of NpgsqlCommandBuilder which
may cause problems. We'd like you to check if you get problems. For
more information check this thread:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=590&aid=1010973&group_id=1000140

Fixed bugs:

[#1010951] AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers for npgsql assemblies.
[#1010973] specified cast is invalid - datetime fields. In
order to fix this bug I had to disable some code in
NpgsqlCommandBuilder. Watch out for possible side effects.
Fixed problems with SSPI authentication when the password had
some non ascii characteres. Also, Npgsql supports to authenticate with
an user name other than the current logged one. Thanks Ahmed Shinwari
for tests and patch.
[#1010997] Consider using System.Threading.Timer instead of
System.Timers.Timer. Thanks Alex A Ermoshenko for feedback, patch and
tests.
NpgsqlConnector.CancelRequest leaks Connector.
NpgsqlConnector.CancelRequest creates a connector to cancel the
running request, but does not close it. More info at:
http://pgfoundry.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=10059&forum_id=519
Thanks David Leaver for patch.
Exception when closing connection. If your connection is in
the Ready state and the stream is actually broken
NpgsqlReadyState.Close will throw an exception when trying to write to
the stream. More info can be found at:
http://pgfoundry.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=10066&forum_id=519
Thanks David Leaver for the patch.
In Multi-threaded applications there is a race condition that can
occur which will result in a broken connection being re-added to the
pool. Thanks David Leaver for patches. More information here:
http://pgfoundry.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=10067&forum_id=519
[#1010986] Endless recursion on hanging connection in
ProcessBackendResponsesEnum. Thanks Gildas for feedback and tests.

Enhancements:

Added performance patch to GetKeyName method. Thanks Dan Smith for
patch. http://lists.pgfoundry.org/pipermail/npgsql-devel/2011-February/001117.html

You can see full changelog and release notes here:
http://pgfoundry.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=1727

You can dowload it from here: http://downloads.npgsql.org

Thank you to Josh Cooley for all his help with entity framework support!

Thank you to all who sent feedbacks, suggestions and patches.
You helped to make this release.

Thank you very much to David Leaver who gave a lot of feedback and
patches to improve connection pool.

Please, give it a try and feel free to let us know if you find any problem.

--
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Npgsql Lead Developer