Re: 8K recordsize bad on ZFS?

From: Dimitri <dimitrik(dot)fr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8K recordsize bad on ZFS?
Date: 2010-05-10 19:26:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

As I said, the record size is applied on the file creation :-)
so by copying your data from one directory to another one you've made
the new record size applied on the newly created files :-) (equal to
backup restore if there was not enough space)..

Did you try to redo the same but still keeping record size equal 8K ? ;-)

I think the problem you've observed is simply related to the
copy-on-write nature of ZFS - if you bring any modification to the
data your sequential order of pages was broken with a time, and
finally the sequential read was transformed to the random access.. But
once you've re-copied your files again - the right order was applied
again.

BTW, 8K is recommended for OLTP workloads, but for DW you may stay
with 128K without problem.

Rgds,
-Dimitri