Re: Create Table Dialog: Change Column after creation/Reorder Columns

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "onur(dot)oguzel" <onur(dot)oguzel(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Create Table Dialog: Change Column after creation/Reorder Columns
Date: 2010-06-21 20:18:06
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le 21/06/2010 21:26, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>>
>>> On the post-creation, I don't see it as impossible. I see it as hard
>>> work, but possible.
>>
>> I'd love to know how you'd do that (note that I do not consider
>> "rewrite the table" to be an acceptable solution).
>>

> Arg, this was my solution :)

I think that's an acceptable solution, provided it works well. *IFF*
it is very very very very clear to the user that this is what happens
(extra warning dialog(s), please!). A lot of people have tables small
enough that this is not a problem.

And remember that it's not quite as trivial as one would initially
think - you still need to recreate all indexes and foreign keys and
sutff. But it's certainly doable.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/