Building PgAdmin with a debug build

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Building PgAdmin with a debug build
Date: 2010-10-23 12:22:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

I'm attempting to build PgAdmin3 from master, including a debug build.
I resolved various packages using my system's package manager,
including -debug and -devel packages.

When, and only when I pass the --enable-debug parameter to configure,
I invariably get this error message:

./configure -with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-debug -with-wx-version=2.8
*snip*
checking for PQgetOutResult in -lpq... no
checking wxWidgets version... ok
checking wxWidgets in /usr/local... failed
configure: error: Your wxWidgets installation cannot support pgAdmin
in the selected configuration. This may be because it was configured
without the --enable-unicode option, or the combination of
dynamic/static linking and debug/non-debug libraries selected did not
match any installed wxWidgets libraries.

I thought there might be some arcane problem with my system packages,
so I downloaded the stable release of WxWidgets-gtk
(wxGTK-2.8.11.tar.gz), and built it successfully with a "./configure
--enable-debug; make; make install". I then ran ldconfig.

Now, I'm getting the same error message with any set of configure
parameters at all (rather than just when I've included
--enable-debug).

How can I build pgadmin3 with debug and release builds?

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan