Re: Reviewfest 2010-06 Plans and Call for Reviewers

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reviewfest 2010-06 Plans and Call for Reviewers
Date: 2010-07-08 13:52:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Kevin Grittner
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Who is going to manage the actual CF?
>
> I'm willing to do so if people want that.  I promise to be more
> aggressive about pursuing this once the release is out; I've seen
> some of the same people who are doing reviews contributing to the
> release process, so I haven't wanted to push on the RF tasks.
>
> I'm also perfectly willing to step aside for anyone else.  ;-)

Personally, if you can step up to the plate on this one, I think that
would be great. I am going to be out of town for a week starting two
days from now, and I would rather not have to try to manage a CF
without regular Internet connectivity and while I'm supposed to be on
vacation. And, if I do spend some time working on this, either while
I'm on vacation or afterwards, it would be nice if I could focus on
reviewing and committing. If someone else wants to volunteer, of
course, that's great too...

In terms of being aggressive about pursuing this, I think it's
important that between July 15th and August 14th we try to give
everyone who has submitted a patch by July 14th some feedback on their
work, which means we need more people reviewing than have so far. I
don't think the release will be out before the CF is over, but I'm
hoping that we can get enough people involved to walk and chew gum at
the same time. Last year, the first CommitFest involved returning
with feedback a lot of patches that had horribly bitrotted or had
major design issues - and the second CommitFest involved committing
many of those same patches. So giving people feedback now is really
important to avoid having things pile up at the end of the release
cycle.

The good/bad news is that we don't have any major uncommitted patches
floating around unmerged at this pont, as we did last cycle with HS
and SR. KNNGIST is in a similar situation to where HS and SR were at
this time last year, but it's not as big of a patch, and it's not as
high-profile (although I think anyone who uses PostGIS, and not a few
others, are drooling...). Sync rep is going to be a big patch, or,
hopefully, a series of patches, but it's more of a question of getting
it designed and written than getting it merged at this point. I have
a bad feeling we're going to be trying to land that one at the very
last minute. :-(

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company