Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2010-12-02 05:39:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> wrote:
> You would add a regular parallel dump with
>
> $ pg_dump -j 4 -Fd -f out.dir dbname

So this is an updated series of patches for my parallel pg_dump WIP
patch. Most importantly it now runs on Windows once you get it to
compile there (I have added the new files to the respective project of
Mkvcbuild.pm but I wondered why the other archive formats do not need
to be defined in that file...).

So far nobody has volunteered to review this patch. It would be great
if people could at least check it out, run it and let me know if it
works and if they have any comments.

I have put all four patches in a tar archive, the patches must be
applied sequentially:

1. pg_dump_compression-refactor.diff
2. pg_dump_directory.diff
3. pg_dump_directory_parallel.diff
4. pg_dump_directory_parallel_lzf.diff

The compression-refactor patch does not include Heikki's latest changes yet.

And the last of the four patches adds LZF compression for whoever
wants to try that out. You need to link against an already installed
liblzf and call it with --compress-lzf.

Joachim

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_dump_parallel.tar.gz application/x-gzip 60.9 KB