Re: [HACKERS] Improved JDBC driver part 2

From: Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com>
To: Lew <noone(at)lewscanon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Improved JDBC driver part 2
Date: 2010-12-02 00:39:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

> Over the last ten years I've used CVS at many jobs, and I've used it to branch and
> merge lots of times. I found it roughly equivalent to, say, subversion in utility for that
> purpose.

That's probably true. I don't think anyone would suggest a move to SVN
at this point.

> Well, as they say, YMMV.

Without getting into a distributed / centralized version control holy
war, as the core PostgreSQL project itself has found, there are major
advantages to the DVCS model for open source projects. It enables
workflows that would lead to a nightmare of merge conflicts with many
other tools (including CVS/SVN). This is part of what has made github
so successful.

I've done a private clone of JDBC CVS with git cvsimport for my work.
I imagine a number of other developers do that too. This is almost
certainly not sufficient for a proper migration, but it's usable. For
what it's worth, right now, it's not causing me any grief to manage my
git clone privately. I'll certainly put in a +1 for git, though.

---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com