Re: Cannot cancel the change of a tablespace

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot cancel the change of a tablespace
Date: 2010-07-01 15:54:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> Finally, I added it to the next commit fest. Robert can work on it
>> before if he wants to (or has the time).
>
> I'd been avoiding working on this because Simon had said he was going
> to commit it, but I can pick it up.  I've committed and back-patched
> (to 8.0, as 7.4 does not have tablespaces) the fix for ALTER TABLE ..
> SET TABLESPACE.  I'll take a look at the rest of it as well.

It looks like we have two reasonable choices here:

- We could backpatch this only to 8.4, where ALTER DATABASE .. SET
TABLESPACE was introduced.

- Or, since this also makes it easier to interrupt CREATE DATABASE new
TEMPLATE = some_big_database, we could back-patch it all the way to
8.1, which is the first release where we use copydir() rather than
invoking cp -r (except on Windows, where copydir() has always been
used, but releases < 8.2 aren't supported on Windows anyway).

Since I can't remember anyone complaining about difficulty
interrupting CREATE DATABASE, I'm inclined to go back only to 8.4, and
will do that a bit later.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company