Re: pgAdmin III: the debugger does not pre-populate default values for arguments

From: Nikhil S <nixmisc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III: the debugger does not pre-populate default values for arguments
Date: 2011-02-11 07:51:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Nikhil S <nixmisc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > One side-effect of this feature is that earlier where non-default
> variables
> > appeared as empty, they will now appear with values "". This will happen
> > only if some arguments have defvals and some don't. We could have added
> code
> > to do away with "" entries, but then I thought it is possible for people
> > provide "" as default values too. So we can live with this I think..
> >

> Even for non-strings?

Consider the following procedure:

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE pass_proc(p1 IN INTEGER, p2 IN INTEGER, p3 IN
INTEGER DEFAULT 0) IS
BEGIN
dbms_output.put_line('Parameter #1 P1 = ' || p1);
END;

The pldbg_get_target_info() function call returns the following info for
defvals for this procedure:

{"","",0}

Because of this the first two params will end up getting "" prepopulated.

Note that if there are no default values, the the defvals column is
completely empty. Now why we see the "" for non-default arguments - the
issue seems to be on the server side in the contrib module calls to compute
the default values.

Regards,
Nikhils