Re: Major features for 9.1

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-04-02 18:03:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Here's a list of the features which seem to me to be major enough to be
> headliners for 9.1.  Please mark which ones you think are major/not
> major/not major and anything you think I've forgotten.
>
> The tough part is going to be picking 5-6 items from the below.
>
> * Synchronous Replication
> Reason: obvious
>
> * wCTE: Writeable Common Table Expressions
> Reason: replace large amounts of app code with single queries.
> Also, we may be the first DB to have this.  Anyone know?
>
> * Per-column collations
> Reason: fully multilingual databases now possible.
> This has been a TODO for a decade.
>
> * SSI: Serializable Snapshot Isolation
> True serializability without locking.  Eliminate a lot of SELECT FOR
> UPDATE code.
> This might also be a PostgreSQL first.

Perhaps we can outline Major Features and Innovations separately. This
release is notable for the number of genuinely new ideas implemented,
so that's worth making something of even if the advanced features
themselves need a little more explanation. Or Perhaps have
"Innovations" as a major feature and then a comma list of the names of
them.