Re: Continuent apology to PostgreSQL Community members

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Eero Teerikorpi <eero(dot)teerikorpi(at)continuent(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Continuent apology to PostgreSQL Community members
Date: 2010-07-31 02:08:55
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Eero Teerikorpi
<eero(dot)teerikorpi(at)continuent(dot)com> wrote:
> My sincere, personal apology us sending you and other PostgreSQL community
> members something that you may find unwanted and/or offending: a MySQL
> specific webinar invitation. Clearly we should not approach anyone in the
> PostgreSQL community with MySQL related news or messages and honor the fact
> that you may have earlier opt-out from all Continuent communication.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sending MySQL webinar
invitation to PostgreSQL users. People may not be interested, but
that doesn't make it spam. I do think there's something wrong with
signing people up for your mailing list without asking them and/or
failing to remove them when the so request. What I find interesting
is that I received a webcast invitation from you in my EnterpriseDB
account earlier this week. To my knowledge, I have never subscribed
to ANY mailing list from that account, so I'd like to understand how
you got that address and who asked you to add me. If someone (who?)
at EnterprIseDB provided you with a list of emails and explicitly
authorized you to add those people to your list, fine. If not, you're
probably doing something you shouldn't be. Which is it?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company