Re: Forums at postgresql.com.au

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Elliot Chance <elliotchance(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forums at postgresql.com.au
Date: 2010-11-19 16:58:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 16:14, Alvaro Herrera
> Excerpts from Dave Page's message of vie nov 19 11:43:34 -0300 2010:
>> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Elliot Chance <elliotchance(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> > However if I had signed up to the forum (and not the mailing list) my >From would have to be subscribed for the mailing list to accept it like:
>> > Elliot Chance <forums(at)postgresql(dot)com(dot)au>
>> > John Smith <forums(at)postgresql(dot)com(dot)au>
>> > ... etc.
>> >
>> > OK, so after a brief background I'd like to organise a solution. Without any other feasible option would this generic address system be allowed?
>>
>> I wouldn't be happy with that as it prevents private replies to the
>> author and would make it easy to send what was intended as a private
>> reply to the public forums by mistake.
>
> Isn't that a secondary use case, though?  It would be easy to solve this
> by providing a URL to the post in the forum that you can click; assuming
> the forum interface gives you the option to reply privately.

That would pretty much make it impossible to use offline.

That would be annoying, but I guess survivable. But how would that
work for a user that hasn't signed up for the forum? How does it
verify the sender?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/