Re: Add PGDLLEXPORT to PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "'Albe Laurenz *EXTERN*'" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at-extern>, "'Tom Lane *EXTERN*'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add PGDLLEXPORT to PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1
Date: 2016-10-17 14:51:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> But I'd understand if you think that this is too much code churn for too little
> benefit, even if it could be considered a clean-up.
>
> In that case, I'd argue that in the sample in doc/src/sgml/xfunc.sgml
> the function definitions should be changed to read
>
> PGDLLEXPORT Datum foo(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
>
> instead of
>
> Datum foo(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
>
> because without that the sample fails if you try to build it with MSVC
> like the stackoverflow question did.

Since I didn't hear from you, I assume that you are not in favour of
removing the SQL function declarations from contrib.

So I went ahead and wrote a patch to add PGDLLEXPORT to the C function sample.

While at it, I noticed that there are no instructions for building and
linking C functions with MSVC, so I have added a patch for that as well.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-PGDLLEXPORT-to-sample-C-function.patch application/octet-stream 2.3 KB
0002-Add-instructions-for-building-C-functions-with-MSVC.patch application/octet-stream 1.3 KB