Re: New acinclude.m4

From: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
To: Florian G(dot)Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New acinclude.m4
Date: 2005-05-19 20:07:44
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On May 19, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> Raphaël Enrici wrote:
>
>> Florian G. Pflug wrote:

>>> Does this mean the linking statically is not possible anymore?
>>> Or has the check just moved to another place?
>>>
>> To me, as Adam is making the build relying on wx-config flags, the
>> build
>> is considered static if wxWid was built with --disabled-shared
>> passed
>> to its configure. In the case where wxWidgets has been built with
>> --enable-shared, pgadmin will inherit this default and build
>> dynamically
>> (same thing if both shared and static wxWid libs were built, the
>> shared
>> build will become the default...).
>>
> Will a statically-built wx make the _whole_ pgadmin link statically
> too,
> or will only the wx-libraries be linkes statically and e.g. libpq
> dynamically. It would be the right thing to do, I guess - but then
> there
> would be need for a global "--enable-static" flag, that defined
> the linking-type for all other libs beside wx. At least for OSX,
> linking the release-versions statically it the most reliable method,
> while keeping the resulting app small.

I ran into some real problems trying to link the whole app
statically, especially on Linux. There is a flag that can be passed
(to ld I think) that makes all linking static, but IIRC I found that
some linux libraries didn't like that much, and would require dynamic
linking. Besides, in this day and age, there really isn't any reason
to completely statically link, except for debugging purposes, and
it's really only statically linking against wx that we care about in
that case.

ahp