Re: [HACKERS] Continue transactions after errors in psql

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Continue transactions after errors in psql
Date: 2005-04-27 00:02:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Apr 26, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Once you've got such an infrastructure, it makes sense to allow an
> interactive mode that automatically puts such things around each
> statement. But I can't really see the argument for using such a
> behavior in a script. Scripts are too stupid.

Would it be possible to have a command line switch and/or a psql
variable to control "interactive"? If I recall correctly, the setting
depends on tty and there are possible interactive uses of psql outside
of a terminal session. With so many things depending on this, it would
be nice to be able to override the default.

Thanks,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL