Re: win32 service code

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Andrew Dunstan' <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PgSql-Win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 service code
Date: 2004-05-28 03:07:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> This doesn't need to be perfect, IMNSHO, just functional.
>
> Someone (who?) needs to make a call.

Agree on both points. I'm happy making the call, but past experience has
shown me that doing so without getting sort form of consensus from the big
names is asking for trouble :-)

> My take: If code is there for option 2, let's get it in. ISTM the
> installer could make a copy of the postmaster.exe called
> pgservice.exe and install the latter as the service. Then you should see
> one pgservice and one postmaster instead of two postmasters, right?

True enough. The only obvious disadvantage being the footprint of the exe,
both for running and redistribution (already bad enough that we do this for
postgres.exe). That kills it from my view.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a