Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Merlin Moncure ' <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: 'pgsql-hackers-win32 ' <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix
Date: 2004-01-16 00:29:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Claudio Natoli wrote:
> > * Users already have a postgres solution for Win32. It is called Cygwin
> > w/ > cygipc. Sure, it is not the most stable solution, but, IMHO,
> > that's not what prevents people from using it; it is the need to
> > install yet-another bit of software to support Postgres. If we want
> > to take the fight to MySQL, again IMNSHO, this is not the way to
> > proceeed.
>
> I don't use it because I don't feel it is stable and the write
> performance is not very good. Also, the ipc-daemon sometimes crashes
> which is a big PITA.

Exactly why we don't (can't!) use it in production. I was referring more to
the person we want to win over to Postgresql; the person who'll download the
Postgres Win32 binaries, and make a decision within 5 minutes as to whether
to keep playing with it, or whether to ditch it forever.

As Tom has said, if we can redistribute the components "invisibly" (which
the existing license appears to be completely silent on), great, and it is
something we might want to look at, IMHO, at a later date. Otherwise, forget
it.

Aside: Looking *much* further ahead, with all Microsoft OS moving to the NT
subkernel, and this latest announcement that SFU is now available at no
cost, I think it is pretty clear that, sooner or later, SFU is going to work
its way into future MSFT OS releases as distributed. Whether this ultimately
keeps people using their OS, or makes it easier for people to switch, well,
time will tell...

> Plus, the win32 is so close to completion I can almost taste it... :)

Agreed :)

Cheers,
Claudio

---