Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Tom Lane ' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: ''Merlin Moncure ' ' <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, ''pgsql-hackers-win32 ' ' <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix
Date: 2004-01-15 03:24:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Well, the $64 questions that have not been answered are what are the
license terms and redistribution terms for SFU?

Don't know yet. The current coverage says that it is being released for free
this week, but I can't find anything with the exact license terms (only for
the previous [non-free] versions)... anyone?

> Given the previous comments about Microsoft's goals in giving this away,
> one would think they'd allow it to be bundled in distributions of free
> software. But who knows ...

True, but I think the real, unanswerable question is "But who knows FOR HOW
LONG?".

> If SFU doesn't provide a reasonable fork() emulation then it's no help,
agreed.

It does (and clearly can, as the NT kernel architecture certainly allows
this; just the Win32 API provides no mechanism for doing so), but it ain't
perfect. Well, it wasn't when I first used SFU which was some time ago.
Anyone here have recent experience with this?

In any case, my vote continues to be for steering clear of it, but I've
nothing new to add to the discussion.

Cheers,
Claudio

---