Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?

From: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Date: 2016-06-28 21:27:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28/06/2016 04:44, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Julien Rouhaud
>>
>> There's already a pg_memory_barrier() call in
>> BackgroundWorkerStateChange(), to avoid reordering the notify_pid load.
>> Couldn't we use it to also make sure the parallel_terminate_count
>> increment happens before the slot->in_use store?
>>

> Yes, that is enough, as memory barrier ensures that both loads and
> stores are completed before any loads and stores that are after
> barrier.
>
>> I guess that a write
>> barrier will be needed in ForgetBacgroundWorker().
>>

> Yes.

>> You mean between the end of this block and the for loop?
>>

> Yes.

>> I think I'll just pgindent the file.
>>

> make sense.

Thanks a lot for the help!

PFA v6 which should fix all the issues mentioned. Also, after second
thought I didn't add the extra hint about max_worker_processes in the
max_parallel_worker paragraph, since this line was a duplicate of the
precedent paragraph, it seemed better to leave the text as is.

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
global_max_parallel_workers-v6.diff text/plain 12.1 KB