|From:||Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>|
|To:||Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>|
|Cc:||Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>|
|Subject:||Re: pg_sequence catalog|
|Views:||Raw Message | Whole Thread | Download mbox|
Review of the pg_sequences view.
This seems like a useful addition to me, making life easier for
administrators and monitoring tools. While there is already a view in
information_schema it is missing cache_size and last_value.
= Functional review
- The patch applies and passes the test suite without any issue.
- A worry is that it might get a bit confusing to have both the future
catalog pg_sequence and the view pg_sequences.
- I think it would be useful to include is_cycled in the view.
- When creating a temporary sequences and then running "SELECT * FROM
pg_sequences" in another session I get the following error.
ERROR: cannot access temporary tables of other sessions
- Shouldn't last_value be NULL directly after we have created the
sequence but nobody has called nextval() yet?
- I noticed that last_value includes the cached values, but that also
seems to me like the correct thing to do.
- I do not like the name of the new function, lastval(regclass). I think
like you suggested it would be better with something more verbose.
- There is an XXX comment still in the code. It is about the name of the
- The documentation does not mention the last_value column.
- The extra empty line after "</table>" does not fit with the formatting
of the rest of the SGML file.
|Next Message||Haribabu Kommi||2016-11-08 23:51:07||Re: commitfest 2016-11 status summary|
|Previous Message||Peter Geoghegan||2016-11-08 23:34:18||Re: SERIALIZABLE with parallel query|