Re: Large files for relations

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Large files for relations
Date: 2024-05-13 20:51:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06.03.24 22:54, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Rebased. I had intended to try to get this into v17, but a couple of
> unresolved problems came up while rebasing over the new incremental
> backup stuff. You snooze, you lose. Hopefully we can sort these out
> in time for the next commitfest:
>
> * should pg_combinebasebackup read the control file to fetch the segment size?
> * hunt for other segment-size related problems that may be lurking in
> new incremental backup stuff
> * basebackup_incremental.c wants to use memory in proportion to
> segment size, which looks like a problem, and I wrote about that in a
> new thread[1]

Overall, I like this idea, and the patch seems to have many bases covered.

The patch will need a rebase. I was able to test it on
master(at){2024-03-13}, but after that there are conflicts.

In .cirrus.tasks.yml, one of the test tasks uses
--with-segsize-blocks=6, but you are removing that option. You could
replace that with something like

PG_TEST_INITDB_EXTRA_OPTS='--rel-segsize=48kB'

But that won't work exactly because

initdb: error: argument of --rel-segsize must be a power of two

I suppose that's ok as a change, since it makes the arithmetic more
efficient. But maybe it should be called out explicitly in the commit
message.

If I run it with 64kB, the test pgbench/001_pgbench_with_server fails
consistently, so it seems there is still a gap somewhere.

A minor point, the initdb error message

initdb: error: argument of --rel-segsize must be a multiple of BLCKSZ

would be friendlier if actually showed the value of the block size
instead of just the symbol. Similarly for the nearby error message
about the off_t size.

In the control file, all the other fields use unsigned types. Should
relseg_size be uint64?

PG_CONTROL_VERSION needs to be changed.