Re: Failover of the Primary database and starting the standby database in Postgresql in PITR configuraiton?

From: "libra dba" <libra(dot)dba(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: salman <salmanb(at)quietcaresystems(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failover of the Primary database and starting the standby database in Postgresql in PITR configuraiton?
Date: 2008-02-28 14:36:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hey Salman,

Thanks a lot for all your guidance and help. It has really been a great
help. I appreciate your quick replies.

Which replication in postgres is better ?
SLONY or WARM STANDBY (usning wal).

Another thing which haunts me is that, if we have a warm standby, the
recovery process on the standby server reads an archived file only if it is
16MB, if it is small, the standby server goes down as shown

*quote from the logfile on standby*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*FATAL: archive file "000000010000000100000032" has wrong size: 491520
instead of 16777216
LOG: startup process (PID 13177) exited with exit code 1
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure
LOG: database system was interrupted while in recovery at log time
2008-02-28 00:47:39 EST
*
Usually, an archive file is written every minute. Now, if the last archive
was written at 12:05:00, and the primary server goes down at 12:05:37, the
archive is not generated for the last 37 seconds. The archive file which was
written at 12:05:00 would be applied to the standby. But what will happen to
transactions which happen in the last 37 seconds before the crash???

Do we loose that data???

Thanks!