Re: Add two missing tests in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add two missing tests in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl
Date: 2023-04-24 05:52:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 4/24/23 6:04 AM, vignesh C wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 21:45, Drouvot, Bertrand
> <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> hi hackers,
>>
>> In the logical decoding on standby thread [1], Andres proposed 2 new tests (that I did
>> not find the time to complete before the finish line):
>>
>> - Test that we can subscribe to the standby (with the publication created on the primary)
>> - Verify that invalidated logical slots do not lead to retaining WAL
>>
>> Please find those 2 missing tests in the patch proposal attached.
>
> Few comments:

Thanks for looking at it!

> 1) Should this change be committed as a separate patch instead of
> mixing it with the new test addition patch? I feel it would be better
> to split it into 0001 and 0002 patches.

Agree, done in V2 attached.

> 2) We could add a commitfest entry for this, which will help in
> checking cfbot results across platforms.

Good point, done in [1].

> 3) Should the comment say subscription instead of subscriber here?
> +# We do not need the subscriber anymore
> +$node_subscriber->safe_psql('postgres', "DROP SUBSCRIPTION tap_sub");
> +$node_subscriber->stop;

Comment was due to the node_subscriber being stopped. Changed to
"We do not need the subscription and the subscriber anymore"
in V2.

> 4) we could add a commit message for the patch

Good point, done.

[1]: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/43/4295/

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0002-Add-two-tests-in-035_standby_logical_decoding.pl.patch text/plain 8.8 KB
v2-0001-Lower-log-level-in-035_standby_logical_decoding.p.patch text/plain 1009 bytes