Re: Parallel CREATE INDEX for BRIN indexes

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel CREATE INDEX for BRIN indexes
Date: 2023-11-28 17:59:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/28/23 16:39, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 at 14:35, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 11/23/23 13:33, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>>> The union operator may leak (lots of) memory, so I think it makes
>>> sense to keep a context around that can be reset after we've extracted
>>> the merge result.
>>>

>> But does the current code actually achieve that? It does create a "brin
>> union" context, but then it only does this:
>>
>> /* Use our own memory context to avoid retail pfree */
>> cxt = AllocSetContextCreate(CurrentMemoryContext,
>> "brin union",
>> ALLOCSET_DEFAULT_SIZES);
>> oldcxt = MemoryContextSwitchTo(cxt);
>> db = brin_deform_tuple(bdesc, b, NULL);
>> MemoryContextSwitchTo(oldcxt);
>>
>> Surely that does not limit the amount of memory used by the actual union
>> functions in any way?
>
> Oh, yes, of course. For some reason I thought that covered the calls
> to the union operator function too, but it indeed only covers
> deserialization. I do think it is still worthwhile to not do the
> create/delete cycle, but won't hold the patch back for that.

I think the union_tuples() changes are better left for a separate patch.

>>> I agree that the merging part of the index creation is the last part,
>>> and usually has no high impact on the total performance of the reindex
>>> operation, but in memory-constrained environments releasing and then
>>> requesting the same chunk of memory over and over again just isn't
>>> great.
>>
>> OK, I'll take a look at the scratch context you suggested.
>>
>> My point however was we won't actually do that very often, because on
>> large tables the BRIN ranges are likely smaller than the parallel scan
>> chunk size, so few overlaps. OTOH if the table is small, or if the BRIN
>> ranges are large, there'll be few of them.
>
> That's true, so maybe I'm concerned about something that amounts to
> only marginal gains.

However, after thinking about this a bit more, I think we actually do
need to do something about the memory management when merging tuples.
AFAIK the general assumption was that union_tuple() only runs for a
single range, and then the whole context gets freed. But the way the
merging was implemented, it all runs in a single context. And while a
single union_tuple() may not need a lot memory, in total it may be
annoying. I just added a palloc(1MB) into union_tuples and ended up with
~160MB allocated in the PortalContext on just 2GB table. In practice the
memory will grow more slowly, but not great :-/

The attached 0003 patch adds a memory context that's reset after
producing a merged BRIN tuple for each page range.

> I noticed that the v4 patch doesn't yet update the documentation in
> indexam.sgml with am->amcanbuildparallel.

Should be fixed by 0002. I decided to add a simple note to ambuild(),
not sure if something more is needed.

> Once that is included and reviewed I think this will be ready, unless
> you want to address any of my comments upthread (that I marked with
> 'not in this patch') in this patch.

Thanks. I believe the attached version addresses it. There's also 0004
with some indentation tweaks per pgindent.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
v20231128-0001-parallel-CREATE-INDEX-for-BRIN-v3.patch text/x-patch 48.8 KB
v20231128-0002-add-docs-for-amcanbuildparallel.patch text/x-patch 1.4 KB
v20231128-0003-use-per-range-memory-context-for-merging-i.patch text/x-patch 3.4 KB
v20231128-0004-pgindent.patch text/x-patch 11.8 KB