Re: Cost of XLogInsert CRC calculations

From: "Mark Cave-Ayland" <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'Manfred Koizar'" <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, "'Greg Stark'" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cost of XLogInsert CRC calculations
Date: 2005-05-27 15:01:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(cut)

> Not sure I believe these numbers. Shouldn't 2x32 be about twice as
> slow as just one 32-bit CRC?

Also I've just quickly tested on the Xeon Linux FC1 box I used with my
original program using Manfred's program and the margin is even closer:

Opt 32 32a 32b 2x32 64 64a 64b
O1 2.75 2.81 2.71 3.16 3.53 3.64 7.25
O2 2.75 2.78 2.87 2.94 7.63 10.61 11.93
O3 2.84 2.85 3.03 2.99 7.63 7.64 7.71

I don't know whether gcc is just producing an inefficient CRC32 compared to
2x32 but the results seem very odd.... There must be something else we are
missing?

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd