Re: posix_fadvise v22

From: Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Postgres <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: posix_fadvise v22
Date: 2009-01-02 03:53:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In theory there should be no benefit on a single spindle system. There
could be a slight benefit due to reordering of I/o but only on a raid
array would you see a significant speedup -- which should be about
equal to the number of spindles.

What would be interesting is whether you see a noticable speed
*decrease* from having prefetching enabled when it isn't helping.
Either due to having everything fit in shared buffers or everything
fit in the filesystem cache (the latter should be more of a hit)

Even if there is it doesn't really worry me. By default the feature is
disabled and you should only really turn it on if ulu do have a raid
array and want an individual query to make use if it.

Now that there's an actual run-time sysconf check for the buggy glibc
called by the guc function we arguably don't need the autoconf
check_run check anymore anyways.

--
Greg