Re: BUG #4996: postgres.exe memory consumption keeps going up

From: "WANGRUNGVICHAISRI, SHIVESH" <sbw(at)appsig(dot)com>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4996: postgres.exe memory consumption keeps going up
Date: 2009-08-26 23:51:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Craig,

I looked into this problem extensively today, and here's what I found.

It's not PostgreSQL that is leaking memory; it's the fact that our
application is also using PostGIS 1.3.6.

We have modified the test program such that it clearly shows memory leak
when PostGIS is used.

Below is the email that we sent to PostGIS group along with the download
link of the new test program.

"We have an example program that should demonstrate a memory leak in
postgres.exe caused by PostGIS when used in a multi-threaded situation.

The link to the entire zip file is here:

http://www.2shared.com/file/7399978/56887b86/Postgis_Leak.html

OS: Windows XP 32-bit
PostgreSQL: 8.3.7
PostGIS: 1.3.6"

So my claim that PostgreSQL was leaking memory was not true, and I do
apologize.

However, I still insist that potentially the PostgreSQL community might
want to look into why making use of libpq causes the client program's
memory consumption to keep growing. This can be easily observed using
the earlier test program uploaded to here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ah334c6/n/Pgsql_Leak_zip

(Note to Craig: you have already have downloaded this file)

Thanks for all the help,

S.