Re: Feedback on auto-pruning approach

From: "Mark Liberman" <mliberman(at)mixedsignals(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feedback on auto-pruning approach
Date: 2006-03-28 18:23:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Probably your biggest issue will be temporary files created by temporary tables, sorts that spill to disk, etc.

Is there any way to monitor this so I can estimate?

> What I'm confused by is the concern about disk space in the first place.

We provide a device to customers that must run in an unattended fashion for as long as the hardward holds up. So, regardless of the disk size, they will run out at some time. Some of our solutions grow by 3.5 Gigs per day - and 6 months of history is not an unreasonable expectation. We've just decided we want to keep as much history as possible given space limitations.