Re: ParallelFinish-hook of FDW/CSP (Re: Steps inside ExecEndGather)

From: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ParallelFinish-hook of FDW/CSP (Re: Steps inside ExecEndGather)
Date: 2017-02-17 07:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

The attached patch is revised one.

Invocation of Exec(Foreign|Custom)ParallelFinish was moved to
ExecParallelRetrieveInstrumentation() not to walk on the plan-
state tree twice.
One (hypothetical) downside is, FDW/CSP can retrieve its own
run-time statistics only when query is executed under EXPLAIN
ANALYZE.

This enhancement allows FDW/CSP to collect its specific run-
time statistics more than Instrumentation, then show them as
output of EXPLAIN. My expected examples are GPU's kernel execution
time, DMA transfer ratio and so on. These statistics will never
appear in the Instrumentation structure, however, can be a hot-
point of performance bottleneck if CustomScan works on background
workers.

Thanks,
----
PG-Strom Project / NEC OSS Promotion Center