Construction of Plan-node by CSP (RE: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)

From: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, "Shigeru Hanada" <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Construction of Plan-node by CSP (RE: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)
Date: 2015-05-25 09:08:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I updated the patch to fix up this problem towards the latest master
branch.

Let me remind the problem again. (I really have a hard time of it)
When an extension tries to implement its own join logic using custom-
scan interface, it adds CustomPath on set_join_pathlist_hook with its
cost estimation.
Once the path gets chosen by planner, PlanCustomPath callback shall be
invoked, then, the custom-scan provider will construct its CustomScan
node according to the path, and I expected it recursively initializes
underlying Path nodes (that work as join input, if any) using
create_plan_recurse().
However, at this moment, we didn't get 100% consensus to export this
function to extensions. So, later commit made this function as static
one, again.
Instead of this approach, Tom suggested to add a list of child Paths
on CustomPath node, then createplan.c calls create_plan_recurse() for
each entry of the list, without this function getting exported.

I can agree with this approach as an alternative of the previous
public create_plan_recurse(), and the attached patch implements this
idea, as is. (Do I understand his suggestion correctly?)

Below is the expectation of the custom-scan provider which takes
underlying Path/Plan nodes.
1. It adds a list of underlying Path nodes on custom_children of
the CustomPath node.
2. On the PlanCustomPath, it adds adds Plan nodes (initialized by
createplan.c, and passed as argument) onto lefttree, righttree
and/or custom_children of CustomScan node
3. On the BeginCustomScan, it calls ExecInitNode() to begin execution
of the underlying plan node. Then, if it has more than 2 children,
attach these PlanState objects on the custom_children list for
EXPLAIN output.

As long as extension follows the above interface contract, it can
have underlying child Path/Plan/PlanState without direct call of
create_plan_recurse() as previously argued.

I think it is enough reasonable solution for the problem.
How about people's thought?

Thanks,

Attachment Content-Type Size
custom-join-children.v2.patch application/octet-stream 9.8 KB