Re: Patches for AIX builds..

From: Rick Flower <Richard(dot)Flower(at)quest(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patches for AIX builds..
Date: 2002-01-14 20:15:15
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom writes:

>Hmm, I should think that -qchars=signed would make it *worse*. What I
>see, in certain files, is lots of complaints that the code is implicitly
>casting between "char *" and "unsigned char *". I don't recall any
>places where we make use of "signed char".

Actually, that's what I thought.. I originally toyed with the idea of
fixing the underlying code to be more compliant and therefore kill off
the complaint messages -- however, I quickly realized that it would take
a fair effort to do so, hence my "easy" change.. This change does not fix
ALL of the messages, but it does appear to kill off about 10%.. However,
of the two fixes that you all are targetting for the bit-bucket, this one
is much less important to me than the change to the link args.. I will
be patient however and wait for someone else that uses AIX.. Perhaps my
development environment is a bit different then theirs is.. Currently,
our compiler (VisualAge C++ v5), is unpatched and approx. 2 years old. We
will be probably applying a bunch of patches shortly and perhaps that will
help things..

-- Rick