Re: NOT IN subquery optimization

From: "Li, Zheng" <zhelli(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: "Finnerty, Jim" <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NOT IN subquery optimization
Date: 2019-02-25 22:51:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Resend the patch with a whitespace removed so that "git apply patch" works directly.

---
Zheng Li, AWS, Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL

On 2/25/19, 12:39 PM, "Li, Zheng" <zhelli(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:

I'm attaching a working patch following the discussion.

You can also find the following patch description is the commit message:
NOT IN to ANTI JOIN transformation

The semantics of ANTI JOIN were created to match the semantics of NOT
EXISTS, which enables NOT EXISTS subqueries to be efficiently executed
as a kind of join. NOT IN subqueries have different NULL semantics than
NOT EXISTS, but since there is no special join operator for NOT IN it is
generally executed as a nested sub-plan. It is possible, however, to
transform NOT IN to a correlated NOT EXISTS so that it can be executed
it as an ANTI JOIN with additional correlated predicates.

A general transformation from NOT IN to NOT EXISTS for the
single-expression case (the multi-expression case is just ANDs of the
single-expressions) is:
t1.x NOT IN (SELECT t2.y from t2 where p) <=> NOT EXISTS (select 1
from t2 where (y=x or y is NULL or x is NULL) and p).

If x or y is non-nullable, we can safely remove the predicate "x
is NULL" or "y is NULL", and if there is no predicate p,
then "x is NULL" may be factored out of the subquery.
Experiments show that if we can remove one or the other ORed
predicates, or if we can factor out the "x is NULL", then
execution is typically much faster.

Basically, for the single expression case (we also handle the multi
expression case), we try to do the following transformation:
When p does not exist:
t1.x not in (t2.y) => ANTI JOIN t1(Filter: x is not null), t2 on
join condition: t1.x=t2.y or t2.y is null.
When x is non-nullable:
t1.x not in (t2.y where p) => ANTI JOIN t1, t2 on join condition:
(t1.x=t2.y or t2.y is null) and p.

We implemented a nullability test routine is_node_nonnullable().
Currently it handles Var, TargetEntry, CoalesceExpr and Const. Outer
joins are taken into consideration in the nullability test.

We adjust and apply reduce_outer_joins() before the transformation so
that the outer joins have an opportunity to be converted to inner joins
prior to the transformation.

Using this transformation, we measured performance improvements of
two to three orders of magnitude on most queries in a development
environment. In our performance experiments, table s (small) has 11
rows, table l (large) has 1 million rows. s.n and l.n have NULL
values. s.nn and l.nn are NOT NULL.

s.n not in (l.n) 1150 ms -> 0.49 ms
s.nn not in (l.nn) 1120 ms -> 0.45 ms
l.n not in (l.n) over 20 min -> 1700 ms
l.nn not in (l.nn) over 20 min -> 220 ms
l.n not in (s.n) 63 ms -> 750 ms
l.nn not in (s.nn) 58 ms -> 46 ms

For the only case that performance drops - l.n not in (s.n). It is
likely to be resolved by ending the nested loop anti join early as
soon as we find NULL inner tuple entry/entries that satisfies the
join condition during execution. This is still under investigation.

Comments are welcome.

With Regards,
---

On 2/25/19, 7:32 AM, "David Rowley" <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 09:44, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I've attached the rebased and still broken version.

I set about trying to make a less broken version of this.

A quick reminder of the semantics of NOT IN:

1. WHERE <nullable_column> NOT IN(SELECT <not null column> FROM table);

If table is non-empty:
will filter out rows where <nullable_column> is NULL
and only show values that are not in <not null column>

If table is empty:
Filters nothing.

2. WHERE <nonnullable_column> NOT IN(SELECT <null column> FROM table);

If table contains NULLs in the <null column> no records will match.

The previous patch handled #2 correctly but neglected to do anything
about #1. For #1 the only way we can implement this as a planner only
change is to insist that the outer side expressions also are not null.
If we could have somehow tested if "table" was non-empty then we could
have added a IS NOT NULL clause to the outer query and converted to an
anti-join, but ... can't know that during planning and can't add the
IS NOT NULL regardless as, if "table" is empty we will filter NULLs
when we shouldn't.

In the attached, I set about fixing #1 by determining if the outer
expressions could be NULL by checking

1. If expression is a Var from an inner joined relation it can't be
NULL if there's a NOT NULL constraint on the column; or
2. If expression is a Var from an inner joined relation and there is a
strict WHERE/ON clause, the expression can't be NULL; or
3. If expression is a Var from an outer joined relation check for
quals that were specified in the same syntactical level as the NOT IN
for proofs that NULL will be filtered.

An example of #3 is:

SELECT * FROM t1 LEFT JOIN t2 on t1.a = t2.a WHERE t2.a IS NOT NULL
AND t2.a NOT IN(SELECT a FROM t3); -- t2 becomes INNER JOINed later in
planning, but...
or;
SELECT * FROM t1 LEFT JOIN t2 on t1.a = t2.a AND t2.a NOT IN(SELECT a FROM t3);

In the latter of the two, the t1.a = t2.a join conditions ensures that
NULLs can't exist where the NOT IN is evaluated.

I implemented #3 by passing the quals down to
pull_up_sublinks_qual_recurse(). At the top level call 'node' and
'notnull_proofs' are the same, but that changes in recursive calls
like the one we make inside the is_andclause() condition.

Comments welcome.

Attachment Content-Type Size
not_in_anti_join_transformation_v1.patch application/octet-stream 88.1 KB