Make error messages about WAL segment size more consistent

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Make error messages about WAL segment size more consistent
Date: 2023-08-22 13:44:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This started out as a small patch to make pg_controldata use the logging
API instead of printf statements, and then it became a larger patch to
adjust error and warning messages about invalid WAL segment sizes
(IsValidWalSegSize()) across the board. I went through and made the
primary messages more compact and made the detail messages uniform. In
initdb.c and pg_resetwal.c, I use the newish option_parse_int() to
simplify some of the option parsing. For the backend GUC
wal_segment_size, I added a GUC check hook to do the verification
instead of coding it in bootstrap.c. This might be overkill, but that
way the check is in the right place and it becomes more self-documenting.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Make-error-messages-about-WAL-segment-size-more-cons.patch text/plain 13.5 KB