Install error: invalid value for option 'LC_TIME'

From: Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy(at)wellsgaming(dot)com>
To: pgsql admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Install error: invalid value for option 'LC_TIME'
Date: 2003-02-18 22:16:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

After a fresh 7.3.2 installation on Max OS X 10.2, I received the
following error when trying to start the database:

FATAL: invalid value for option 'LC_TIME': 'en_US'

I checked my environment vars and found no LC_TIME. Then, I checked
the postgresql.conf file and found at the very bottom:

#
# Locale settings
#
# (initialized by initdb -- may be changed)
LC_MESSAGES = 'en_US'
LC_MONETARY = 'en_US'
LC_NUMERIC = 'en_US'
LC_TIME = 'en_US'

I had another machine that was successfully running 7.3.2, so I checked
the postgresql.conf file for that one and found that all the values for
the LC_* were set to 'C'. So I changed them to 'C' on the non-working
one and it started worked fine.

This doesn't concern me except that it happened on a fresh install, and
I followed the quick install directions exactly. So I thought I'd make
everyone aware of the problem and the fix.

--Jeremy