Re: Capping CPU usage?

From: eric soroos <eric-psql(at)soroos(dot)net>
To: Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Capping CPU usage?
Date: 2002-12-11 18:44:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

> > I can't imagine that postmaster could do this, but I thought it there
> >  might be some kind of Linux Kernel CPU quota option I haven't heard
> > of.
> >   Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I was reading an interview last night (found from /.) on the O(1) scheduler. One thing that was mentioned was batch tasks which get only cpu that's not being used for other things, in blocks of 3 seconds. It has some harder enforcement of nice levels (i.e. batch @ 10 can completely prevent a batch @ 15 from running untill it completes, but is completely interruptable by ordinary processes).  Since all the parameters are tweakable, many while running, this may be a place to look.

eric