Re: damage control mode

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-10 10:27:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 05:54, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Peter,
>
>> Just to clarify: I am for sticking to the agreed dates.  If some things
>> are not ready by the necessary date plus/minus one, they won't make the
>> release.  If it's obvious earlier that something won't make the date, it
>> shouldn't be committed, and maybe put on the backburner right now.  But
>> AFAICT, that's independent of when it was submitted.  Some things that
>> were submitted just the other day might be almost ready, some things
>> that were first submitted many months ago are still not ready.
>
> In that case, Robert's comments about patches to bounce on Day 1 of the
> commitfest are still valid, regardless of "patch size".  That is, if
> we're getting patches which seem very unlikely to make the cut by
> Feburary 15 (like KNNGiST, which currently doesn't even apply), then it
> makes sense for the CFM to notify those authors as soon as possible that
> their patch is probably last in line to get reviewed.

If it doesn't even build by the time the CF starts (and didn't just
break in the past couple of days), can it even be considered
submitted? I think it's perfectly fair to bounce something that's been
sitting in "waiting for author" for weeks *before* the CF starts at an
early stage, to focus the resources on things that are up-to-date.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/