Re: BUG #4938: upgrade to 8.4 issue

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Anders Edstrom <ae58(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4938: upgrade to 8.4 issue
Date: 2009-07-23 21:00:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 21:15, Anders Edstrom<ae58(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      4938
> Logged by:          Anders Edstrom
> Email address:      ae58(at)yahoo(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3
> Operating system:   Windows Vista
> Details:
>
> Hi,
>
> When I run the installation of postgresql 8.4 I'm prompted for password.
> When I issue the password I have for 8.3 (=dbpass)I get an error message
> "invalid password" ??
>
> I don't understand how that is possible since its the only password I have
> ?

You should have one password for the service account and one for the
superuser. You are probably entering the password for the superuser -
it needs the service account.

> How can I reset the password so I can get the postgresql up and working
> again, i.e. I have also now tried to uninstall 8.3 but get the same message
> of invalid password?

You can do this using the user management functions in the operating
system, or using the "NET USER" command on the commandprompt.

--
Magnus Hagander
Self: http://www.hagander.net/