Duplicate Table Names in PostgreSQL

From: "Schnetzer, Jerry" <schnetzerj(at)nextnetwireless(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Duplicate Table Names in PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-11-20 01:32:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I have just started to use PostgreSQL. Among creating sql scripts to create my database and schema, I also need to export existing data from a MS SQL database. This has worked well using the postgreSQL ODBC driver in conjunction with MS Data Transformation Services (DTS) to export and move the data to PostgreSQL running on Linux.

My question is this. When I run my create database scripts using psql, it converts all of my mixed table and column names into lower case; even though I have specified mixed names in the SQL script file. However, when I run DTS and export the data into the Postgres database (uses PostgreSQL ODBC), this process does in fact create a mixed table name in addition to the lower case version of the same table.

Using psql, I can display the tables information (\dt) and see a display of both the lower and mixed case table.

However, when I drop a table (specifying either a mixed or lower case name), PostgreSQL seems to only have one instance of the table. After dropping, a select statement against the table, is reported by psql, as not existing.

How is this happening?

Jerry Schnetzer
Minneapolis