Re: Unable to create serial column even with permissions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(dot)berkus(at)pgexperts(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to create serial column even with permissions
Date: 2010-08-16 01:12:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Josh Berkus <josh(dot)berkus(at)pgexperts(dot)com> writes:
> [ as suitably privileged user, alter somebody else's table with ]
> alter table sometable add column someserial serial;
> ERROR: sequence must have same owner as table it is linked to

> If the creating user has permissions on the table sufficient to create a
> column on the table, the sequence should be created as owned by the
> table owner.

Yeah, I think that would be the most desirable behavior.

It looks to me like the simplest way to make this happen would require
(a) adding a field to CreateSeqStmt to carry the userID we want the
sequence to be owned by;
(b) adding a parameter to DefineRelation to pass in said userID.

(Or we could add a field to CreateStmt rather than a separate parameter
to DefineRelation, but I'm unconvinced that's better.)

We could in theory back-patch this, since CreateSeqStmt won't ever go to
disk in stored rules. However, tweaking DefineRelation's API in stable
branches seems fairly hazardous to third-party code. Does it seem
sufficient to fix the problem in 9.0 and up?