Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?
Date: 1998-06-02 06:01:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > Nobody "owns" them...Thomas and I have tried to keep them
> > > relatively up to date, with Thomas doing the most part of the work
> > > on a Linux platform...
> > > Stuff like the int* test 'expected' output files are generated
> > > under Linux, which generates a different error message then the same
> > > test(s) under FreeBSD/NetBSD :(
> > Ok, now I am confused. Isn't the error message "our" error message? If
> > so, can't we make it the same?
>
> Nope. Some messages come from the system apparently. I can't remember
> how they come about, but the differences are not due to #ifdef FreeBSD
> blocks in the code :)

Thank goodness! I always worry about that when dealing with *BSD people ;-)

> The only differences I know of in the regression tests are due to
> numeric rounding, math libraries and system error messages.

That is about what I see.

> I will point out that although no one really "owns" the regression tests
> (in the spirit that everyone can and should contribute) I (and others)
> have run them extensively in support of releases. It is important that
> whoever is running the "reference platform" be willing to run regression
> tests ad nauseum, and to track down any problems. I've done so the last
> few releases.

Ok, I will make a set of Linux glibc expected files for 6.3.2 and if that
works send them in. Not sure how to handle the reference Linux vs glibc
Linux issue in terms of the way the tests are structured and platforms named,
but they do have different rounding behavior and messages.

Of course, someone is welcome to beat me to this, no really, go ahead...

-dg

David Gould dg(at)illustra(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software (No, really) 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." -- Howard Aiken