select_common_typmod

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: select_common_typmod
Date: 2020-10-20 08:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While working on another patch, I figured adding a
select_common_typmod() to go along with select_common_type() and
select_common_collation() would be handy. Typmods were previously
combined using hand-coded logic in several places, and not at all in
other places. The logic in select_common_typmod() isn't very exciting,
but it makes the code more compact and readable in a few locations, and
in the future we can perhaps do more complicated things if desired.

There might have been a tiny bug in transformValuesClause() because
while consolidating the typmods it does not take into account whether
the types are actually the same (as more correctly done in
transformSetOperationTree() and buildMergedJoinVar()).

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-select_common_typmod.patch text/plain 7.4 KB