Re: Fix pg_stat_reset_single_table_counters function

From: Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, mitsuru(dot)hinata(dot)5432(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Fix pg_stat_reset_single_table_counters function
Date: 2023-08-14 08:12:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-08-13 04:12, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2023-08-10 17:48:10 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> Good catch! I've confirmed that the issue has been fixed by your
>> patch.
>
> Indeed.

Thanks for your responses!

>> However, I'm not sure the added regression tests are stable since
>> autovacuum workers may scan the pg_database and increment the
>> statistics after resetting the stats.
>
> What about updating the table and checking the update count is reset?
> That'd
> not be reset by autovacuum.

Yes. I confirmed that the stats are incremented by autovacuum as you
said.

I updated the patch to v3.
* remove the code to bump the CATALOG_VERSION_NO because I misunderstood
* change the test logic to check the update count instead of scan count

I changed the table to check the stats from pg_database to
pg_shdescription
because the stats can update via the SQL interface COMMENT command.

Regards,
--
Masahiro Ikeda
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Fix-pg_stat_reset_single_table_counters-function.patch text/x-diff 4.1 KB