Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Date: 2007-11-27 19:26:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
>> I see that there are two or three minor bug fixes in the REL7_3_STABLE
>> branch since 7.3.20. Rather than just leaving those to rot, maybe the
>> actual policy should be "only one more update after 8.3 comes out".

> I assume you no longer need to maintain it for Redhat then?

Well, I still do, nominally, but RHEL-3 is in maintenance mode (meaning
no more scheduled updates). It would take a fairly serious bug to get
Red Hat's attention to the point that they'd want to turn the package.
If something like that came up, very possibly we'd want to put out a
fix too. What I'm thinking is more along the lines of not bothering
with back-patching non-catastrophic bugs, and not automatically
including 7.3 in the set of branches we make back-branch releases for.