From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com" <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Smith" <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bertrand Drouvot" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Ajin Cherian" <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Masahiko Sawada" <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Dilip Kumar" <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Nisha Moond" <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Bharath Rupireddy" <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Ashutosh Sharma" <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2024-02-01 02:45:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024, at 10:17 AM, Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) wrote:
> Attach the V72-0001 which addressed above comments, other patches will be
> rebased and posted after pushing first patch. Thanks Shveta for helping address
> the comments.

While working on another patch I noticed a new NOTICE message:

NOTICE: changed the failover state of replication slot "foo" on publisher to false

I wasn't paying much attention to this thread then I start reading the 2
patches that was recently committed. The message above surprises me because
pg_createsubscriber starts to emit this message. The reason is that it doesn't
create the replication slot during the CREATE SUBSCRIPTION. Instead, it creates
the replication slot with failover = false and no such option is informed
during CREATE SUBSCRIPTION which means it uses the default value (failover =
false). I expect that I don't see any message because it is *not* changing the
behavior. I was wrong. It doesn't check the failover state on publisher, it
just executes walrcv_alter_slot() and emits a message.

IMO if we are changing an outstanding property on node A from node B, node B
already knows (or might know) about that behavior change (because it is sending
the command), however, node A doesn't (unless log_replication_commands = on --
it is not the default).

Do we really need this message as NOTICE? I would set it to DEBUG1 if it is
worth or even remove it (if we consider there are other ways to obtain the same
information).

--
Euler Taveira
EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/